Math Teacher of the Month
We know the importance of mathematics achievement, and we want to help students excel in the classroom. But we also know that without great teachers, students may not perform to the best of their abilities. Particularly during these unprecedented times, it is important to honor the dedication of teachers who help students achieve academic success. This year, like every year, we are partnering with the Houston Astros to recognize Houston-area math teachers who go above and beyond to help their students excel. Each month during the baseball season, the ConocoPhillips Math Teacher of the Month program recognizes a teacher who is hitting home runs in the (in-person and/or virtual) classroom.
The Nomination Process
Find out more on eligibility, selection criteria and more.
Only certified 3rd through 12th grade math teachers in the Greater Houston area are eligible for selection. All nominations must be submitted via the online form.
ConocoPhillips employees are eligible to submit nominations, but employees and their immediate family members are ineligible to win. Immediate family members are classified as an employee’s spouse, child, parent, sibling or domestic partner.
All nominations will be reviewed solely based on merit and display of characteristics detailed on the selection criteria page. Review the selection process for more information.
ConocoPhillips and the Houston Astros will recognize six math teachers during the baseball season, which runs from April to September. Nominations will be accepted between September and?December each year. Notifications will be sent out to selected teachers during the month of March.
All nominations will be evaluated through a two-round review process. Teachers who make it through the first round will be deemed “finalists.” The principals of finalist teachers will then be asked to submit a letter of recommendation.
The winning teachers will be selected by an external selection committee made up of representatives from academia, government and the nonprofit sector.
The nomination period for the 2021 program will close December 15, 2020.
The selection committee will consider the following criteria when evaluating nominations. Those nominations that demonstrate the teacher’s ability to adapt to the unique challenges posed by COVID-19 will be given special consideration.
- Commitment to excellence in mathematics teaching
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in the classroom, using both traditional and nontraditional teaching tools
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Goes above and beyond to make in a difference in students' lives
- Demonstrated increase in student achievement in mathematics
- Demonstrated increase in student affinity for mathematics
- Demonstrates alignment with?ConocoPhillips SPIRIT Values
Winning teachers will receive a number of awards* from both ConocoPhillips and the Houston Astros, including:
- Pre-game recognition and stadium tour
- Up to 10 game tickets
- School appearance by Orbit
- $1,000 donation to teacher’s school/school district
- $100 gift card for the purchase of classroom supplies
- ConocoPhillips and Houston Astros gift package
- Pre-game radio interview
- Recognition on the ConocoPhillips website
Each season, one of the six winning teachers will be randomly selected to receive a trip to the Houston Astros spring training in Florida. This includes two round-trip airline tickets, one night’s hotel stay, game tickets and a VIP viewing of the team’s batting practice.
Nominators will also have the opportunity to win. The nominators who submit the six winning entries for the 2021 ConocoPhillips Math Teacher of the Month program will each win four tickets to a Houston Astros game of their choice during the 2021 season.
* Please note that there may be modifications to the 2021 program awards listed above as we accommodate our current environment.
Nominate a Teacher
Meet the Teachers
Meet the teachers from the 2020 Math Teachers of the Month